Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dresser Carcases complete

Here an update to where I am with the double dresser I'm building for our master bedroom.  This project has taken me a lot longer than I had planned.  (Typical)  I don't remember when I started this thing but it was probably back in January or February of this year.  I started by milling up the wood and glueing up the panels.  I typically use biscuits for alignment and these proved to work very well as there was minimal handplaning to flatten the panels ....  initially. A big reason for the long time delay on this project was that over the course of the summer I fenced in my back yard with a custom build cedar fence.

The purpose for putting in the fence was so we could put in an above ground pool in the yard and comply with our municipal by-laws.  I had only planned on putting in the pool next summer but come fall there were some great deals on used pools online so I couldn't resist. We ended up purchasing a 27 foot above ground pool and I installed it all myself with a lot of help from my friend Trevor.

Well now that we're well into the fall and what I consider as prime woodworking season, I'm back in the shop and I've finally finished hand cutting all of the dovetails at the corners of each carcase.  This took a lot of time to do in red oak but I'm really happy with the results.

I started doevetailing these cacases back in May before I started building the fence.  When I brought all of the cedar in my shop I put these red oak panels away and stood them on end on the concrete floor.  I remember telling myself that they'd only be there on the floor for a day until I stickered them flat with a weight on them.  Well that day turned into months and when I finally got back to the panels they were seriously cupped.  Red oak is a notorious wood for moving around and I learned my lesson the hard way on this project.  Since I had already begun cutting the dovetails in the boards I didn't really have the option of ripping them down and jointing them flat again so instead I stickered them and sprayed water on the concave side.  This worked pretty well and I was able to put a strong back across them to transfer my tails to my pin board.  Once the dovetails were mated, the joinery held everything flat.

Once mistake I made was to mis-set my marking gauge too shallow when marking the depth of the pins.  I'm not sure how this happened but once the joint went together I had to hand plane about 1/16" off each of the case sides to get everything flat.  Now on an easy to work wood like cherry, hand planing a 1/16" off is easy peasy,  but on dry red oak it's a real pain.  I put alot of effort into making sure the grain direction was the same in each board before I glued up each panel but inevitable you're going to get some grain change in the middle of the board which leads to huge tear out.  I've gotten a lot better at dealing with this and managed to minimize the tear out by being vigilant at reading the grain and planeing from different directions as well as by by using a high plane angle.  I'll finish cleaning the sides up with a card scraper and sand paper before I move on to making the web frames.  That's my project for this weekend.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Get your access to 16,000 woodworking projects.

Teds Woodworking has over 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP-BY-STEP instructions, photos and blueprints to make each project easy and simple...